Executive Chef, Renee Martillano shares the perfect winter dish of slow cooked beef short rib served with a Jalapeno & Macadamia Salsa.
- 3kg Premium beef short rib
- 1 litre of reduced salt beef stock
- 750 ml Shaoxing wine
- 500 ml soy sauce
- 325 ml ABC sweet soy
- 35 grams fennel seeds
- 35 grams cardamom seeds
- 25 grams Szechuan peppercorns
- 15 grams red chilli, slices
- 25 grams, young ginger, peeled & sliced
- 15 star anise
- 5 cinnamon quills
- 5 oranges, zests only
- 375 grams palm sugar, grated
- 60g sugar
- 40g salt
- 6 jalapeno chilli
- 100 grams shallots, peeled
- 100 grams gherkins
- 1 bunch chives
- 50 grams Macadamia nuts, toasted
- 100 ml Sherry vinegar
- 300 ml Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Murray River pink salt
- Trim short rib
- Dissolve white sugar, salt with 1-litre water
- Add short rib to mix and brine overnight
- Wash short ribs under running water, pat dry then sear and set aside.
- Place beef stock, Shaoxing wine, soy, ABC sweet soy, spices, oranges zests and palm sugar into a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes and set aside.
- Place beef short rib into a deep ovenproof dish, cover with the braising stock.
- Marinate beef in braising stock overnight
- Wrap the baking dish with baking paper and aluminium foil.
- Preheat fan-forced oven at 70 degrees
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 hours or until tender.
- Chargrill jalapeno until the skin is charred, peeled, deseeded and finely dice.
- Roast macadamia nut until it’s lightly brown and finely chop.
- Peel and finely dice shallots.
- Finely dice gherkins, and chives
- Mix all the ingredients and season with sherry vinegar, oil and salt
- Reduced the braising liquid to a sauce consistency. Emulsify with a small amount of unsalted butter, set aside.
- Remove bones from the beef short rib, slice and arrange into a plate.
- Pour some sauce over and spoon the salsa over the sliced beef.